Under big and scary clouds, the Castle of Prague stands tall and steady. One of the largest ancient castles in the world, it has been home for the Kings of Bohemia, Holy Roman Emperors and presidents of Czechoslovakia and the Czech Republic. The history of this castle dates back in 870 when the Church of the Virgin Mary was first built. It suffered many reconstructions until 1848, when Queen Maria Theresa carried out the last major rebuilding of the castle. Throughout almost one thousand years of restorations, the buildings of the Prague’s Castle represent virtually every architectural style of that millennium.
Today, the Castle of Prague serves as a historical and political center for the city and the state. For centuries it used to offer kings, emperors and presidents a magnificent panorama upon the city. The longest river in Czech Republic, the Vltava River (name believed to originate from old Germanic words *wilt ahwa” , meaning “wild water” in English), running north from its source near the German Border, makes its way through Prague at the foot of the Castle. Some of the 18 bridges that cross the river as it flows down the capital can be seen from the magnificent citadel.